Day after day, it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear,
Ghosts appear and fade away.
— From “Overkill,” by Colin Hay, originally performed by Men at Work
As a solopreneur, fear and doubt are our worst enemies. They break into our minds and rob us of momentum, energy, and vision. Left unchecked, fear and doubt can paralyze.
Optimism and confidence helped us build our businesses; fear and doubt can destroy them. Here are seven ways to combat fear and doubt.
1. Pull your business plan from the shelf and read it. You were confident when you wrote your plan; revisiting it will put you back into that frame of mind.
2. Listen to your niche. Tune in to what your potential customers are saying. Listen to their pain. Listen to their wants. Listening will remind you that your products and services are needed.
3. Create a to-do list — one list for this week and one for the next 30 days. Seeing specific tasks on a sheet of paper will encourage you and help you focus.
4. Focus. Forget about multitasking for a while and zoom in on specific projects or tasks.
5. Exercise. Endorphins are powerful and they can turn your mood around quickly.
6. Adopt a spiritual practice. It will quiet your mind and make room in your head for hope.
7. Give encouragement to someone else. The act of giving positive reinforcement will remind you that you have the power to uplift and help others.