Niches can meet known or unknown needs.
The latter was the case with Bill James, who in 1977 was working as a night watchman at a Van Camp’s pork-and-beans cannery in Kansas City when he began his assault on Major League Baseball’s conventional wisdom.
James, a solopreneur in every sense of the word, created a new niche that eventually:
• Changed the way professional sports in America are managed and played
• Inspired a multi-million-dollar sports-data industry
• Spurred the creation of a political website that uses James’s principles to predict election results
• Helped break an 86-year-old jinx
• Led to the creation of a movie starring Brad Pitt
How did it happen?