Last month I published a survey titled, “What would you want in a solopreneur group?”
The purpose of the survey was:
• To measure the amount of interest in a group
• To determine what form the community should take
• And ultimately, to decide whether it is worthwhile to commit the resources to form a group.
Below are the survey results. Twenty-two people responded (I was expecting/hoping for about 75).
I’d love to hear your thoughts on whether I should go forward with this — and how to do it.
How old is your business?
59% More than 2 years
18% 0 to 1 year
14% I haven’t launched yet
9% 1 to 2 years
Have you ever been a member of a solopreneur group in the past?
Are you a member of a solopreneur group now?
Why would you use a private solopreneur group?
81% To bounce ideas off others
77% To learn how other solopreneurs do things
59% To combat isolation
59% To get answers to questions
54% To be motivated
54% To build new business relationships
54% To feel like I’m part of a larger community
50% To stay current with business trends
32% To be held accountable
32% To make new friends
What causes you the most pain in your business? Top five:
46% Time management
41% Cash flow
If it was valuable, how often would you participate?
36% Once per week
32% Several times per week
23% Multiple times per day
5% Once per day
5% Less than once per week
What features would you like in a solopreneur group?
68% Expert-guest appearances
64% Private messaging to individual members
50% Individual member pages
46% Members-only content
36% In-person group meetups
32% Group phone calls
23% Chat room
How many members would you like to have?
50% No limit
23% 21 to 50
14% 10 to 20
14% 51 to 100
0% 1 to 9
How exclusive would you like the group to be?
68% Limited to those who apply and are accepted for membership
23% Nonexclusive, anybody should be allowed to join
9% Membership by invitation only
How much would you be willing to pay for a private group?
36% $10 per month
32% I would not be willing to pay for it
27% $5 per month
5% $25 per month
How long would you like the group to last?
73% No limit
23% 7 to 12 months
5% 4 to 6 months
0% 1 to 3 months
What would you bring to the group?
• Communicate, communicate, communicate. Offer solid advice and ask for it back.
• Be a peer and maybe someday a friend.
• Participate in discussions I found relevant to my situation, and perhaps suggest discussion topics.
• Encourage, share, ask
• Participate in forums, calls. bring my expertise to the group; offer suggestions; solve problems.
• Open and honest communication in a pleasant and non aggressive manner. I would be willing to moderate a group or part of a group.
• I’d be willing to lead some of the sessions.
• Openly share my experiences as a solopreneur — the good, the bad and the ugly!
• I’m supportive by nature — I would offer tips, encouragement, advice, my expertise.
• offer skill bartering
• I would add my knowledge of technology and experiences I encounter.
• I’d participate, recruit, read, and add value.
• Be open and honest about earnings and achievements
• Share my ideas and suggestions for things people are struggling with.
Any other thoughts?
• Please do it!!
• No negativity allowed.
• The community site would need to be very easy to use and navigate. Quality members who are open to sharing their knowledge and experience will make a big difference, too.
• I believe the group needs to be kept fairly small, and there needs to be a process to be accepted. I don’t think the conditions need to be rigorous – but people’s names, etc. should be verified.
• Perhaps segment into total newbies vs those with some experience both in terms of their particular biz and being a solopreneur–segment chat, forums etc this way. Would make people more open to share their successes and failures.
• Desperately need something like this.