This week a solopreneur sent me this question by e-mail: “I’ve identified my niche; do you have any thoughts on how to develop it?” Here’s my reply.
Position yourself as the “go-to” person in your niche. Below are the methods that have been the most effective for me and for my consulting clients on how to develop your niche.
1. Connect with relevant businesses and organizations. Identify businesses and organizations you can align with. Establish a presence at tradeshows, conferences and meetings that target your audience. Offer to speak at conference and tradeshow break-out/educational sessions.
2. Publish a blog, in combination with social-media platforms. I think it’s the best way to establish your authority. Blog posts give people a reason to visit your website and learn more about how you can solve their problem. Be active on the social-media platform(s) where your audience would want to interact with you.
3. Develop a media kit. Include a press release; your bio; list of potential interview and/or speaking topics; testimonials; and a photo of yourself.
4. Create an information product (white paper, book, or video, for example) for your niche, and market it online. Also, use it as a giveaway at speaking engagements.
5. Launch a weekly podcast. This helps to establish your authority, expand your audience, and demonstrate your expertise. It also gives you a valid reason to reach out to thought leaders in your niche.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions!