I want to give you a heads-up about an audio tool that has the potential to extend your online reach. Cinch, created by BlogTalkRadio, is the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch app for the Cinchcast.com Web service. Cinchcast is a social network built around audio clips.
Cinch, combined with Cinchcast.com, gives users the ability to record, upload, and share audio at Cinchcast.com and throughout the Web.
At its most basic, Cinch is a free iPhone audio app. I installed Cinch a few weeks ago but something distracted me and I wasn’t able to try it until Tuesday. To test Cinch, I recorded a short clip from my BlogTalkRadio show and then tried to distribute the recording on Twitter and Facebook.
Well, it couldn’t have been easier. Here were the steps:
1. Turn on the Cinch iPhone app.
2. Record 1 minute, 40 seconds from my show, as the show is playing through my computer (high-tech testing!)
3. Send the clip to Cinchcast.com by following a very easy-to-understand command in the Cinch app.
4. Go to Cinchast.com and sign in with my Twitter account
5. Click on my brand-new Cinch account: CinchCast.com/solopreneurlife
6. Click on my recording, which was waiting for me when I got there
7. Post to Twitter and Facebook by clicking on icons in my Cinch account.
Total time elapsed: less than 5 minutes, including the 1:40 to make the recording. Amount of frustration: none. Money spent: none.
How to Put Cinch to Use
Now I am thinking about ways I can use Cinch to connect with The Solopreneur Life community. This article at Denise Wakeman’s excellent Web site, BizTipsBlog.com, offers seven ideas:
1. Daily tips
2. Live reports from event and conferences
3. Commentary to supplement blog posts
5. Interviews (Cinch can be used with Skype) Cinch’s Skype number is 1-646-200-0000
6. Book reviews
7. Movie reviews
Finally, an alternative to Cinch is Audioboo.fm, a platform that started with the Android but now can be used on iPhone.
And it will be interesting to see how Cinchcast.com evolves as a social network. I think it certainly has the potential to be very vibrant and exciting.
What Do You Think Of Cinch?
Have you used Cinch? What do you think of it? Share your thoughts in the comments below.