What are the signs you are you falling in love with your idea for a small business?
I actually think it’s an important question to ask and to answer, because every solo-business owner I’ve known says you have to love what you’re doing in order to make it as a solopreneur. And in my opinion, if you don’t love your business idea in the early days, you’ll never love it.
So here goes — below I’ve listed signs that you’re falling in love, and in parenthesis I’ve listed its solopreneur equivalent. We start with an easy one:
1. You forget to eat. (You forget to eat.)
2. You catch yourself smiling. (You catch yourself laughing.)
3. You aren’t noticing other attractive people. (You’ve stopped reading job listings.)
4. You think about him/her when you’re getting dressed in the morning. (You think about your business idea constantly.)
5. You care more about his/her safety than you’re own. (You’re paranoid that someone will steal your business idea.)
6. Everything reminds you of him/her. (You begin evaluating people as potential clients/customers.)
7. You care more about your appearance. (You care less about your appearance.)
8. You start losing weight. (You start gaining weight.)
9. You realize you miss him/her when he/she’s not around. (When watching your favorite TV show, you realize you’d rather be working on your business idea.)
10. Hanging out with friends isn’t as appealing as it used to be. (It’s a beautiful day outside but you’re not interested in playing golf — or running, playing tennis, biking, etc.)
11. You begin discussing future plans. (You begin writing business plans.)
12. Commitment is actually starting to sound like something you could stand. (You begin looking for an accountant.)
13. You’ve pictured what your children will look like. (You’re sketching logo ideas.)
14. You’re thinking about baby names. (You have a list of possible business names.)
15. People say you’re glowing. (People say you look strung out on something.)
16. You can’t concentrate on work. (You start using your sick days.)
17. You read his/her texts and emails over and over again. (You can’t stop admiring your mission statement.)
What Are the Signs?
Add your thoughts in the comments below.